Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Easter In (Fittingly) Christchurch

Through a series of hectic events, I ended up traveling back north to Picton before turning around and going back down to Christchurch.  My initial impression of Picton being a mediocre town was pretty spot on, though there were two highlights worth mentioning: (1) a car show (you would have loved it, Dad) sporting some sweet American cars, (2) my room in the hostel called "Sardina" - a large room with beds packed into it like sardines - ideal for those who prefer a chorus of snoring backpackers.

Taking the train instead of a bus proved to be an intriguing experience with the seats being assigned and facing one another.  I was fortunate enough to sit next to a backpacker from Canada and an older couple from the UK with whom I chatted with for most of the ride.  I was also fortunate enough to get a call from Amanda, who graciously allowed each one of my friends from home to say hello while they were all together for Martina's birthday.  I chatted with each of them for a few minutes, touching on topics such as playing softball this summer, golden Chivas bottles (I'm holding you too that, Big Easy), revealing the future, and of course, the "Does the toilet flush the other way?" question.  Answer: toilets here don't swirl when the flush, they just go straight down.  It's been incredibly disappointing.

After arriving and meeting the people I would be staying with, they insisted that I have some of their dinner (which they continued to do each night I was there, so nice!) before we went to the cinema to see the movie Boy, a New Zealand film by Taika Waititi.  The movie was incredibly entertaining, enticing a wide array of emotions.  Boy's exaggerated description of his own life was both charming and tragic considering the events that take place.  I absolutely recommend checking it out (if you can figure out a way to).



I took to wandering during my time in Christchurch and what I found was pretty nice: a nice park full of rugby fields (Jon, you should probably live here), botanic gardens, quite a few public art galleries, outdoor markets, churches/cathedrals, a few really funny advertisements, a giant countdown clock for the Rugby World Cup in 2011 (did I mention you should live here Jon?).  A word of advice though: just because a woman in a cool looking mask tells you a puppet show for adults is worth $10, it doesn't actually mean that it is.  Trust me.  I took a bus to check out the coast and found myself drawing in the sand with little kids, using my artwork to try and inspire those walking out on the pier.  I also got to meet up with Eric from housekeeping, sharing a few vodka colas, stories about travels and life, and the like.  It was nice to see a familiar face.

In the spirit of putting my Agnostic views to the test (and because I didn't have much else to do) I decided to go to the St. James Anglican Church on the night of Easter Sunday.  I mean, I was in CHRISTCHURCH, how could I not go to church on Easter Sunday, right?  My desire to not stick out like a sore thumb was shot to shit when I realized I was one of only 16 people in the entire church.  The messy hair, dirty jeans, and Breezefest t-shirt probably didn't help the cause.  Seeing that conversation was inevitable, I decided to stay for tea and cake after the service rather than sprinting for the door.  Both the guitar guy and the priest conversed with me about where I was from, my travels, my future plans, and of course, my religious views.  I told them honestly that I grew up Catholic but haven't practiced for quite some time, and am in the process of searching for some sort of spiritual guidance.  The priest bid me farewell and hoped that in my search I would find the Lord.  Who knows what I'll find on this crazy journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment